Monday, August 1, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese with truffle


My mother would not stop talking about this macaroni I prepared - she loved the topping and it was very simple!



I used shells for this dish - I like using pastas with grooves because I like the sauce to stick to the pasta, so anything with grooves works well!


Ingredients:

Pasta of choice (1 lb)
cheeses of choice - I used American, white cheddar swiss and fresh grated parmesan
olive oil, butter, garlic, onion, tomato, nutmeg, truffle salt, 4 slices of bread
milk and heavy cream

boil your pasta in salted water - set aside

step 1: sautee onion, garlic and tomato (1 small onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tomato in olive oil

next - make a roux! add more olive oil and flour to the veggies (about 2 tablespoons of flour and slowly add milk (about 1 cup) - keep stirring. If it's too thick, add more milk (slowly and keep stirring) now add the cheese - little by litte and keep stirring until it's incorporated. At this time, once the sauce is thickened I add about 1/4 cup heavy cream and stir well. I also add 3 tablespoons of butter - mix then add nutmeg and truffle salt and fresh ground black pepper (migh need more course salt) I only use 2 teaspoons of truffle salt. I pour the pasta into the sauce, mix and place into a baking dish. I top the pasta dish with bread crumbs. Toast 4 slices of bread - rub with fresh garlic, crumble place on top of pasta and drizzle with olive oil. bake (350 degrees for 20 min)

No comments: