Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Eggplant Parm Pizza


This might look sinful, and it might be, however it's meatless and I use very little cheese plus a whole grain wheat crust.

I call this eggplant parm pizza because it's everything you would find on a plate of eggplant parm sandwich, but in pizza form.

Recipe is easy as follows

  • enough raw dough for 1 pizza, or premade crust
  • tomato sauce (jarred or make your own) I made my own using crushed tomatoes, garlic, butter, onion, and basil
  • cheese
  • bread crumbs
  • eggplant and mushrooms
  • olive oil
For the dough: I purchased raw whole grain olive oil dough and stretched it out then placed it on a baking sheet and baked half way through

For the eggplant: I then cleaned, peeled and sliced the eggplant into circles - I soaked the eggplant in milk, salt and pepper to taste.  Place bread crumbs on a platter and season with salt, pepper, parm cheese and garlic powder, roll the eggplant in the bread crumb mixture and shallow fry them in a pan of heated olive oil.  When eggplant is ready, place on paper towel to drain.

For the sauce:  In a pot sautee garlic, a pound of finely chopped mushrooms and onion in olive oil and butter until soft, add crushed tomatoes and basil

Pizza: flip the crust over, add tomato sauce (I use about 2 cups), then add cheese and bake for a remainder of about 10 minutes until cheese bubbles, take out and add the fried eggplant, parm cheese and bake for a few more minutes.

done and delish!  Eat with a salad!

No comments: