Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fresh Juice


We recently retired our old juicer and purchased a very affordable "Power Juicer Express" from Bed Bath & Beyond - I have to say that I love our new juicer and it has been getting a lot of use!  This machine is quiet, and makes a very smooth juice and leaves behind a very dry pulp, so it's getting the most our of our fruits and veggies.  We first started juicing over a year ago when our city first introduced a Farmer's Market, we stay up to date on food news and had recently watched a documentary of the health benefits of juicing
titled "Fat Sick and nearly Dead" needless to say, we took advantage of the fresh produce in our area and began scouting fresh raw  - pesticide free - fruits and veggies.  I took a juice challenge and lost a total of 20 lbs in 3 weeks by adding fresh juices to my diet, since then I have maintained the weight loss, and juice at least once a day in place of a meal or make it part of a complete and healthy meal.

We have our favorite juices and I will share a couple of my recipes.  The juice shown is one of my favorite combinations, Carrot/Beet/Melon juice: 
4 large organic carrots, 1 cup of fresh melon, a small piece of fresh ginger, and 1 fresh beet

another one of my favorites is Cucumber, Green Apple, basil and Kale:
2 cups of organic kale, 1 cucumber, 1 green apple, and mint or basil to taste.

You can google juice recipes and find your own favorites - using fresh local ingredients is a bigger health benefit plus you're supporting local growers and farmers creating a sustainable diet.



No comments: